The purpose of the TIDESS project is to investigate ways that children and adults engage with and learn from large-scale interactive displays (touch table and touch spherical display) in a science museum context. We have created a prototype on a Microsoft Surface touch table that displays ocean temperature visualizations for use in pilot studies and lab studies. We hope to use the information gathered through these studies to iteratively prototype and to inform design for these platforms that will better engage children and adults for science museum learning. We are working on the project with Kathryn Stofer at UF.
1. Soni, N., Darrow, A., Luc, A., Gleaves, S., Schuman, C., Neff, H., Chang, P., Kirkland, B., Alexandre, J., Morales., A., Stofer, K.A., Anthony, L. Affording Embodied Cognition through Touchscreen and Above-the-Surface Gestures During Collaborative Tabletop Science Learning. International Journal of Computer-Supported Collaborative Learning (IJCSCL’21), Volume 16, 2021, p.105–p.144, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11412-021-09341-x [paper link]
2. Schuman, C., Stofer, K.A., Anthony, L., Neff, H., Chang, P., Soni, N., Darrow, A., Luc, A., Morales, A., Alexandre, J., and Kirkland, B. Ocean Data Visualization on a Touchtable Demonstrates Group Content Learning, Science Practices Use, and Potential Embodied Cognition. Research in Science Education (2020), p.1-13, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11165-020-09951-9 [paper link]
Refereed Conference Papers & Posters
1. Soni, N. Designing Interactions for Multi-touch Spherical Displays to Support Collaborative Learning in Museums. 2020. Proceedings of the Conference on Interactive Surfaces and Spaces (ISS’20). November 8-11, Virtual event, Portugal. Pages 95–99. [PDF]
2. Soni, N., Gleaves, S., Neff, H., Morrison-Smith, S., Esmaeili, S., Mayne, I., Bapat, S., Schuman, C., Stofer, K.A., and Anthony, L. 2020. Adults’ and Children’s Mental Models for Gestural Interactions with Interactive Spherical Displays. Proceedings of the ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI’2020), Honolulu, Hawaiʻi, USA, April 25-20, Pages 1-12. [PDF]
3. Soni, N., Darrow, A., Luc, A., Gleaves, S., Schuman, C., Neff, H., Chang, P., Kirkland, B., Alexandre, J., Morales, A., Stofer, K.A., and Anthony, L. 2019. Analysis of Collaborative Interactive Gestures During Embodied Cognition in Tabletop Science Learning Experiences. Proceedings of the International Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Learning (CSCL’ 2019), Lyon, France, June 17-21, Pages 9-16. [PDF]
4. Soni, N., Gleaves, S., Neff, H., Morrison-Smith, S., Esmaeili, S., Mayne, I., Bapat, S., Schuman, C., Stofer, K.A., and Anthony, L. 2019. Do User-Defined Gestures for Flatscreens Generalize to Interactive Spherical Displays for Adults and Children? Proceedings of the International Symposium on Pervasive Displays (PerDis’ 2019), Palermo, Italy, June 12-14, Article No. 24. [PDF]
5. Soni N., Bapat, S., Gleaves, S., Darrow, A., Schuman, C., Neff, H., Chang, P., Stofer, K. A., Anthony, L. 2019. Towards Understanding Interactions Around Multi-Touch Spherical Displays. In Extended Abstracts of the Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI’ 2019), Glasgow, UK, May 4-9, 6 Paper No. LBW0238. [PDF]
6. Anthony, L., Stofer, K.A., Luc, A., and Wobbrock, J.O. 2016. Gestures by Children and Adults on Touch Tables and Touch Walls in a Public Science Center. Proceedings of the ACM Interaction Design and Children Conference (IDC’2016), Manchester, UK, 22 Jun 2016, pages 344-355. [PDF]
This work is partially supported by National Science Foundation Grant Awards #DRL-1612485. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this paper are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect these agencies’ views.
Dr. Lisa Anthony
Dr. Kathryn Stofer
Elisabeth Schreiber (Former member)
Shaghayegh Esmaeili (Former member)
Hannah Neff (Former member)
Peter Chang (Former member)
Schuyler Gleaves (Former member)
Annie Luc (Former member)
Alice Darrow (Former member)
- Another TIDESS project paper appears in a science ed journal! #laterpub #latertweet #tidess
- TIDESS project paper on collaboration around multi-touch spherical displays published at CSCW 2021 (plus an Honorable Mention)! #laterpub #latertweet #tidess
- INIT Lab PhD student Nikita Soni successfully defends dissertation! #latertweet #tidess
- TIDESS Museum Learning Project Update: IJCSCL 2021 paper accepted!
- Creating a Quarter-Circle Slider in Unity
- TIDESS project publishes paper in science ed journal!
- Opening Up Access to TIDESS Research Data
- TIDESS Museum Learning Project Update: CHI 2020 Paper Accepted!
- Iterating on Our Sphere Prototype – TIDESS Museum Deployment
- TIDESS Museum Learning Project Update: CHI 2019 Late Breaking Work accepted!